Staying Fit And Fighting Diabetes, Together
Our registered dietitian and diabetes trainer work with our patients to provide personalized consultations to help you achieve lifestyle goals that support a well-balanced diet and overall wellness. Patients are guided on modifications to their diets with personalized food plans and educational resources.
Our experts in wellness provide services that treat and/or prevent chronic conditions including but not limited to diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, eating disorders, and fatty liver disease. Guidance during these consults may include learning how to create balanced meals, developing healthy eating habits, the importance of physical activity, medical nutrition therapy recommendations for health conditions, answering nutrition-related questions, and creating SMART goals. Enrollment into diabetes education and obesity management sessions are made in collaboration with our comprehensive primary care. Referrals to our program are ordered by the patient’s primary care provider from any of the Alivio Medical Center sites.
Diabetes Self-Management Education
This program is designed to empower our patients in efforts to achieve optimal health-related outcomes. We offer comprehensive, multidisciplinary diabetes education for pre-diabetes, Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational Diabetes. Individual sessions are tailored to meet specific needs.
- Western Clinic: Tuesdays and Fridays from 9:00am-5:00pm
- Morgan Clinic: Monday and Thursday from 9:00am-5:00pm
- Alternating between Morgan and Western sites weekly on Wednesdays from 12:00pm-8:00pm
- Appointments are not required; however, pre-scheduling can be made via (773) 254-1400. Referral from provider is strongly encouraged
Participants learn about:
- Disease process
- Eating healthier
- Being physically active
- Monitoring blood sugars
- Taking medications as prescribed
- Solving problems in unusual situations
- Reducing the risk of complications
- Coping with stress and emotional issues
Weight Management Program
Our bilingual registered dietitian/nutritionist has one-to-one sessions in underweight, overweight and obesity for adults, adolescents and children. The children and families are encouraged to attend our nutrition and physical activity class every first Wednesday of the month at the Western Avenue location.